Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The great debate of Real vs Fake!

Well, blame it on Emm... It's no secret in any house that there is a debate over real vs fake when it comes to Christmas trees. We are, well were no exception. We had real trees some purchased, some "porched" some from the family vacation tree farms. It all depended on where we were and what was the socially acceptable way of acquiring a tree for the holidays. It has always been cut and dry "you can get your decorations ready but no lights go on until Thanksgiving night" and they have until this year come down on New years eve. I have purchased the fake trees over the years and created a collection from 12 inches to 7 feet and I love the fake, but do certainly miss the smell of real. Last year (Christmas 2007) both Gary and I were in deep states of reminiscing, so having missed both the adventures of picking out trees and the smells of Christmas, we got a real tree, I got the tree decorated, lit and it was beautiful. Gary was in charge of keeping it watered, you would think the poor thing was drowning, the water bowl stayed full to the brim. But, about a week after it had gone up it was dry as a bone! So in light of the potential fire hazard, I put up a fake again. After many hours of persistent begging from Danny he was finally given the go ahead to "torch" the dry tree in the back yard, there was the build up of anticipation, the excitement of getting to "burn something with permission" the stage was set for a grand show! Then there was a match, a flame and poof! it was nothing but a stump with limbs in less than 45 seconds! Gary and I were standing with our jaws on the ground, we couldnt believe what we had seen, NEVER again will we have a "real" tree in our home, we would have been fortunate if know one died let alone got out with out injuries, that tree burnt so fast.
So Emm, to answer the question: Fake, fake, fake all I have are fake. I buy the pine smell air freshners, get Candles or the scented pine cones to compensate. "Shoppers note" I have purchased most of mine at the after Christmas sells 50 to 75% off.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think we're going to be sticking to fake trees as well.... everyone knows how the Wikle boys like to burn things, and I'm pretty sure our baby will be no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean? Wikle boys burn things?
    There is also the LOOOOOONG list of other entertainments they have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that there is a paper long enough for that list, I know because it is the same list as the Broadhead one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA, I can't even begin to count all the stories that Brenden has told me where my reaction was, "I'm so glad you're still alive!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guys start visiting and will ask if we knew about ...whichever.... We'll say yes then they figure we knew about some other adventure that we hadn't known about. We spend a lot of time being thankful they are all still with us. This includes both ours and the Broadheads, etc.
    Love ya
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just found your blog and I'm on the floor rolling! I agree with you about the fake when you have kids around (even when they are 30-year-olds). We got our tree free after rebate at home depot last year, so even Brian was happy to add it to our collection of storage stuff.

    ReplyDelete