Thursday, April 30, 2009

Trips to the cemetary.

So I still think the cemetary that Emily's mom was recently buried in is the most beautiful and peaceful one I have every seen or been to. Second would be the one near Bryce canyon out in the middle of nowhere with scrub oak, cedars and wild flowers (a very old graveyard with "new" residents). Yesterday Cheryl and I went to visit Mom in Salt Lake City where she now lies at rest. It was a beautiful day to sit on her bench and visit. After a bit we walked down to Grandma and Grandpa Walgren's spot on the hill, at the end of their plot there was just a small corner of a headstone poking out of the dirt and for what ever reason I sat down and got curious about the name in front of "ler". I started picking at the dirt then whaoo I found a (very small) rock to aid my picking and moved to scraping and digging. Cheryl after reading off all of our known family markers, and some of the prophets in the area sat down and joined my project by the time we left we had unearthed "Marjorie Buller Jackson 1887-1957" Cheryl and I had giggled over who she might be, bringing her back to the sunshine and making her spot visible so she would know where to be for the resurrection, not to mention the new safety hazard we had created for someone to trip on (it was about 4 inches down from the top of the grass) I have no desire to be an archeologist and certainly not the attention span for the schooling it would take, but it was fun to "find" someone in the cemetary! When we got home I was telling Dad about our little project and he said "oh, by Thomas Jackson?" To which I replied yes. Dad says that she is either a relative or a very close family friend, he couldn't remember which. That was a cool trip to the cemetary!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like mom's cemetery! It's been "sold out" for a long time but Brenden and I were just barely able to get some plots up there from someone who was selling theirs... they're near my parents and by the big Last Supper monument.

    It's cool that the lady you dug out is a relative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool for you. Last time I was up there it looked like they might be expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think they're opening up a new section in a couple of years, but we wanted to get some near mom and dad. Also I guess more than 20 other family members are buried there? I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete